Liman Gana obtained his Primary School leaving certificate in 1978 from Mafoni Primary School, Maiduguri. He later attended Borno Teacher’s College, Maiduguri between 1978-1983, where he obtained a Grade II teacher’s certificate. He later moved to Kaduna state in 1983, where he attended Kaduna Polytechnic and obtained a National Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning in 1986. He returned to Maiduguri and obtained a bachelor’s degree in Geography, (Second Class, Upper Division) in 1991, from the prestigious University of Maiduguri. For his compulsory one year NYSC service, he moved to Abuja where he served at Environmental Protection Board, FCT from 1991-1992. In 2000, he completed his master program, Master of Urban and Regional Planning, from the infamous University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
WORKING EXPERIENCE WITH DATES;
He started working in 1987 till Date in the Ministry of land and survey/ Borno Geographic information Service (BOGIS). In 1987 he became the Assistant Technical Officer (Town Planning). From the year 2004 – 2008 he was appointed as Assistant Director, Town Planning, for the Ministry of Works and Housing, Borno State. He later became the Head of design/principal town planner from 2002-2004 for Borno State Urban Planning Development Board. He later became the Director of Town Planning in 2013.
Liman Gana has published academic and professional works, eg. Kagu A. and Liman A.: Spatial and Economic Analysis of the Central Business District (CBD) of Maiduguri Metropolis. Network Journal, Damaturu Vol.3, No.5, December, 2004. And as well as unpublished works, these include:1986; Upgrading of Ushapa Village, Usuma Dam, FCT, Abuja. 1991; Geographical Analysis of Central Business of Maiduguri. 2000; (a) impact of Desertification on the health of the people living in the semi- Arid Zone of Borno State; A Case Study of Maiduguri and Environs(b) Housing in National Economic Development.
As a practical man and of insight, he has worked in quite a number of places that has added advantage to his successful career journey, below are the list of places he has practically implemented his works;
- Design of layouts; Residential of Maisandari (BOTP/137), Suieimanti (BOSA/159), Commercials of Kirikassamma, Ramat, and Foyo in Maiduguri.
- Design and supervision of site layouts of Abba Terab (505), Mairamri (707 and 1000), S. Ali Monguno (Teacher’s Village), Goni Kazallari Estate, Ngaddabul Estates, Informatics Institute in Maiduguri and 20 Local Housing Estates of Southern Borno.
- Supervision of Gamboru Ward, Maiduguri Roads and Drainage Construction.
- Design of site layout and landscape plan of Maiduguri Stadium
- Town planning Consultant to Borno State Road Maintenance Agency on Bolori Layout, Moduganari and Galtima bye passes.
- Town planning design of Maiduguri city ring road 17km from water treatment plant Bama road through Wodiya and Bale Villages to Maiduguri-Biu road.
- Paper presented to Japan Aids for Physical Development for African Countries on implementation of the above road and markets upgrading one in each of the three geo-political zones of Borno state.
- Ushapa village Resentment plan, Bwari Area Council, FCT, Abuja. (Kaduna polytechnic Project, 1985)
- Alau Dam Resettlement Plan, Konduga Local Government, Borno state
- Structure Plan of, Gajiram, Marte towns in Borno State (1997), and Ikenyewa Village, Ibukun Local Government, Osun State (University of Ibadan project, 1999) Ikenyewa Village, Ibukun Local Government, Osun State (University of Ibadan project,
- Technician in the design of the 2nd phase of Maiduguri water supply project.
- Member High Power Committee on demolition of illegal structure and hotel in Maiduguri and environs.
- Deponent to litigations on the demolitions of illegal structures and hotel in Maiduguri and environs at the courts of law.
- Member High Powered Committee on the construction 500 Housing Estate at JIMTILO, Kano Road, Maiduguri.
- Site Layout design of the above Estate.2019
- Member Borno State 2020-2030 Strategic Development Plan 2020
- Member High Power Committee on Control of flooding in Borno State 2020
- Member Technical Team on establishment of Borno Sate University Medical College and Teaching Hospital 2020
WORKSHOPS AND SEMINERS ATTENDED;
- 2010; Centre for Management Development; Public sector reform
- 2001 to Date; Mandatory Continuing Professional Development Programmers of NITP and TOPREC.
1, The Nigerian Urban Development Policy (2003) Abeokuta.
2, Physical planning standards and Environmental Management (2004)
3, four decades of town planning in Nigeria: The challenges Ahead (2006) Abuja.
4, An Alternative solution to corruption issues: 40th NITP anniversary lecture (2006) Lagos.
5, Environmental impact Assessment in Nigeria (policy, legal and Application Issues) 2009 Maiduguri.
6, Public Private Partnership in physical planning and provision of urban services in Nigerian cities (2011).
7, Desertification and challenges of Human Settlement Planning in Nigeria “43th NITP (2012) Abuja.
9, Disaster Risk Management in Nigerian Rural and Urban Settlement (2013) Lafia.
10, Building clean cities in Nigeria(MCPDP) Minna 2014
11, Development of Multi User Template for Land Use Planning and
Analysis reporting (LUPAR) in Nigeria Kaduna, NITP (2015).
12, Planning for equitable cities for Nigeria (2015) Abeokuta.
13, Nigeria Green Cities Summit: Brown to green. ABUJA, 2019.
c) National Council on Works, ABUJA (2014 and 2016).
Adequate Traffic Signage: An Essential Key for Highways infrastructure, safety and comfort. 23th meeting, ABUJA, 2017.
National Council on Lands, Housing and Urban Development
Strengthening Partnership for Sustainable Housing Delivery and Urban Development 3th Meeting Kano, 2013.
“Creating Enabling Environment for private Sector partnership in
Affordable Housing Delivery in Nigeria. 4th Meeting, Uyo, 2014.
d) Housing Land and Property (HLP) organized by the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), Maiduguri and Abuja. 2016-date.
e) CPRDS and BILL & MELINDA GATES foundation
Methodology Workshop on Institutional Capacity (ICA) of Borno State Ministry of Reconstruction, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (MRRR). Maiduguri, 2018
f) National Real Estate Data Collation/Management Programme,
In the years between 1984-1985, he was the Financial Secretary NITP and Secretary NUBOSS Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna. He held the position as the President, NAGS, University of Maiduguri from 1990-1991. He was the Class rep. and treasure MURP, University of Ibadan from 1998-2000. He is currently the Assistant Publicity Secretary, Marte Development Association, a position in his care since 2000. He is also the current Financial Secretary and Treasurer, NITP, Borno State since 2002. In 2017 to date he has been the Chairman, Subcommittee: Housing Land and Property (HLP) Norwegian Refugee Council, Borno State. He got his membership in 2004 as a member of Nigerian Institute of Town Planners, mnitp and in 2008 he also became a member of Town Planners Registration Council (TOPREC), RTP.
Liman Gana Mustapha is a man of vision and committed to working hard to achieve the very best of life. He has a vision for the Healthy and sustainable human settlements for his people. He was born on the 22nd December, 1963. He hails from Marte, Borno State. He is Married with children and speaks Kanuri and English fluently and some Hausa.